Author

My photo
Racine, Wisconsin, United States
We (my wife and I) are celebrating the 11th Anniversary of HAPLR, and more importantly, our 38th Anniversary. The HAPLR system uses data provided by 9,000 public libraries in the United States to create comparative rankings. The comparisons are in broad population categories. HAPLR provides a comparative rating system that librarians, trustees and the public can use to improve and extend library services. I am the director of Waukesha County Federated Library System.

Sunday, June 28, 2009

New Edition, Most Common Library Name

I expect to publish the new edition of HAPLR Ratings by the end of the month. This will be the 10th Anniversary Edition.

In the process of developing the new data, I ran across an interesting data element: the most common name for a public library.

The most common name for a library in the U.S.? Carnegie you say?

No, it’s Oxford Public Library.

Well then Carnegie is second, surely?

Nope again. Runner-up honors go to Madison Public Library.

Carnegie Public Library has to share third place with Bloomfield, Franklin, and Salem Public Libraries.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive